All Saints Ryde
Some of the Music Vocal and the Music Instrumental classes are held in All Saints’ Church. It is a large church with 500 pews, suitable for the large numbers of performers and spectators that are at some sessions, the Primary School Choir classes usually being particularly well attended (around 180 children performed in each of the two days the one class was held over in 2018). There are good toilet facilities and some limited parking.
All Saints’ Church, Ryde is a parish church in the Church of England located in Ryde, Isle of Wight. The building is a landmark of the Island, the spire being visible from many places around the Isle of Wight – and indeed from the mainland – projecting beyond the skyline. All Saints’ is sometimes referred to as the “Cathedral of the Island” It is a Grade II* listed building, formally listed on 24 October 1950.
The church was built between 1868 and 1872 by the architect George Gilbert Scott. The spire was an addition of 1881/82.
All Saints’ is listed as a ‘large’ church in ornate Second Pointed style, constructed of stone-rubble with ashlar dressings. There are six bay-pointed arcades with naturalistic capitals. The chancel walls were painted by Clayton and Bell. The apsed vestry – now the choir song school – was added by C Pemberton-Leach in 1891.
There are two side chapels: The Warrior Chapel in the north aisle – which is a memorial chapel and The Chapel of The Good Shepherd in the south aisle, which was the original sacristy. The pulpit, reredos and font are all typical Scott features, the pulpit is made of Derbyshire alabaster on polished marble columns, and appeared in The Great Exhibition of 1851, winning 1st prize in its class. The tower contains a ring of eight bells cast by Messrs Taylor and Co of Loughborough in 1866. There are some fine examples of stained glass windows but these are mostly confined to the north aisle and sanctuary areas, the other windows having been destroyed by enemy action during WW2. The window in The Chapel of The Good Shepherd is dedicated to the memory of Samuel Poole (d 1872). On the north east corner of the church boundary is a Calvary cross war memorial. The organ is by Henry Willis dating from 1874.
There has been an established choir at All Saints’ since its consecration. The choir still sings at all main services and at weddings and funerals.
Queens Road, Ryde, PO33 3BG
St John’s Newport
The Adult vocal classes are held in St John’s, usually on the Saturday of Vocal week. There are good toilet facilities and some limited parking.
The Church of St. John the Baptist, Newport is a parish church in the Church of England located in Newport, Isle of Wight. It is a Grade II listed building, the only surviving building by the British architect Robert Gunter Wetten (1804–1868). The parish of St John’s takes in the South side of Newport and extends into the neighbouring countryside, as far as Blackwater and Whitecroft. St John’s is part of the Church of England, and comes under the West Wight Deanery, in the Diocese of Portsmouth.
Construction started in 1835. The building, at the junction of St. John’s Road and Terrace Road, was complete by 1837. It cost £3,600 and had 830 seats. It was consecrated on 4 April 1837 by Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester. Originally it was a daughter church within the Parish of Carisbrooke, and known as St John’s Church, Carisbrooke. It became a parish church in its own right in 1896, by order of the Privy Council. It is now part of a joint parish with Sts Thomas Minster. An organ was provided when the church opened in 1837, which was later replaced by a pipe organ by Bryceson Brothers dating from 1890.
Corner of Terrace Road and Drake Road, Nodehill, Newport, PO30 1EQ
Ryde Methodist Church
All of the Speech and Drama classes are held in the Church Hall at Ryde Methodist Church, Garfield Road. The hall has a small stage and toilets making it an ideal venue.
Some of the Music Vocal and the Music Instrumental classes are held in the Church.
There is no parking available at the church but there are two sizeable Pay & Display Car Parks within 100 yards of the Church buildings.
Garfield Road, Ryde, PO33 2PT
All of the dance classes are held in Shanklin Theatre as well as the Music Vocal “Rock and Pop” and “Musical Theatre Song” classes.
Shanklin Theatre was formerly known as The Institute and opened in 1879. The Theatre is owned by the Shanklin Theatre and Community Trust, a registered Charity. The Friends of Shanklin Theatre provide the mainstay of staff to run and manage the Theatre.
Please note that there are no parking facilities available at the theatre. Car parks are situated within walking distance of the theatre; allow at least 30 minutes to find a parking space.
Shanklin Theatre, Prospect Road, Shanklin, PO37 6AJ